Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Thai Iced Coffee

This was easy and fun to do. I got this recipe from my friend, Megan. I am not a coffee drinker, but I thought my husband would like this. I did try a lactose-free version which is much different and I still do not like it because of the coffee. However, if you enjoy coffee then by all means please give this one a whirl.

3/4 of a cup of a medium/dark roast coffee (whole bean)
5 green cardamom pods
4 1/2 cups water
14 oz sweetened condensed milk

Put the coffee and cardamom pods in a coffee grinder and pulse until a fine ground. Empty into coffee maker. Add 4 1/2 cups of water and brew. Pour into a pitcher and add the condensed milk. Let it come to room temperature, place in refrigerator and cool for about 2 hours or overnight.

I did two batches. One following the recipe above and the other substituting the condensed milk for vanilla soy milk and some soy french vanilla creamer. It is not as sweet and will taste different, but if you like coffee you may enjoy it.

I used a medium organic Ethiopian roast. My husband is not a huge fan of dark roast coffees and someone will have to finish the rest of the unused coffee beans. You can definitely double this recipe if having people over since this will only make a small batch. Most natural food markets will have the cardamom pods. I called ahead just to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment