Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tomatoes! And Peppers! Oh, My!

Photobucket

So exciting! As a first time vegetable gardener this thrills me. We are growing cherry and regular sized tomatoes, banana peppers and blackberries. The squash did not come up. When we first put everything into the ground an animal came through and pluck off every leaf (except the blackberries). Since the squash was so small I think the root came out with the leaves. The banana peppers are budding too. The blackberry bush is doing great, but it will not yield until next summer. I am told that I will need to pick the blackberries often because the yield will be so high. Everyone get ready for free blackberry goodness such as jam, wine, pies, breads and other goodies. With it just being me and my husband, we will have to give some of it away! We will also plant much more food next year. This was just a test to see what would thrive. I will be planting some cold hardy vegetables and herbs soon too. I got the gardening bug. I am not too big on flowers. Food, not lawns is a motto I am steering towards. Everyone can afford to be more sustainable.

I will post recipes as I start to pick my produce. A lot of it I will be preserving for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment