Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Oatmeal Spice Muffins


You can check it out here. That site is my best friend's blog.

These are super easy too. A bit rich to just eat for breakfast, but I was thinking you could have it with something else. I sometimes eat part of my breakfast in the car on the way to work. I feel like I never have enough time in the morning. I will eat eggs with toast and cereal at the table and then eat a banana or granola bar in the car. Sometimes I completely space on breakfast and just eat cereal. One of these with some fruit in the car could work.

Mine actually yielded 12 muffins. I guess I could have filled them higher and would get 10 muffins.
217 calories per muffin. Not bad!

1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 cup milk (I used 1% as well)
1 large egg
1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (could also use allspice or pumpkin pie spice)
1 cup chocolate chips (I used mini chips)

In a bowl, combine the milk and oats. Let this sit for one hour so the oats can set up.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a bowl, add the egg, melted margarine, brown sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Add flour and stir. Add the oat and milk mixture. You just want to stir everything enough to thorough combine, but do not over stir. According to my friend, the muffins can turn out hard if you over stir. Not good!

I ran out of paper muffin cups so I greased a muffin tin really well with cooking spray. They slide right out so it should work for you too.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Voila!

Note: I feel these would be really good even if the chocolate chips were not used. Add more spices and it would be like an oatmeal spice muffin. Add ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and it be lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment