Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

My First Pie

It is not the prettiest pie, but it is my first. I did not have time to go out searching for a pie plate or pastry cutter so I used the refrigerated kind, but it did not work out that well. The filling was wonderful so I got at least one thing right! I could honestly eat pie filling only though! I got this recipe from my dear friend, Michelle, and added the cinnamon.

The filling:
5 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen with stems removed
1 cup white sugar
4 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
cold butter tabs cut into cubes (about 2 tablespoons)
sprinkle of raw sugar (optional)

Rinse blueberries and place in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the white sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and cinnamon.  Pour over the blueberries and toss to coat. If fresh or out of a can let it sit for 15 minutes. If frozen, let it sit for 45 minutes until blueberries are slightly thawed but still icy. I used the blueberries I picked in July that I froze.

After you let the berries sit, add to the pie crust. Dab the butter cubes on top of the pie filling and place the top crust on. Cut slits to vent the pie. Sprinkle with raw sugar.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30-55 minutes depending if the berries are frozen or not. If crust is getting too brown then cover the crust only with tin foil.

You can also brush the top crust with an egg wash if you desire.


I used one of my favorite plates that I bought at a consignment store to eat the first slice of pie off of.

No comments:

Post a Comment