Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Papel Picado



Papel picado is the Mexican folk art of paper cutting. Usually they are elaborate designs. It is kind of like a doily or a snowflake. They are displayed in times of festivity such as religious holidays, Day of the Dead, weddings, quinceaneras, and christenings.

When we were in San Antonio many houses had them displayed. I really wanted the flags and Chuy found them for me. Now, we are not Mexican. Not even close. But we just love all of the Mexican folk art and traditions. Our living room is full of it. People may just think the "flags" are tacky (especially with the plastic flamingos on the lawn- they do not help), but tacky is in the eye of the beholder. What I consider tacky.. actually probably is tacky to most. For some reason I am just attracted to some of that crazy stuff.

I can see us retiring in Mexico.

1 comment: