Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Apple, Onion and Herb Chicken with Apple Bake for dessert


My friend, Megan, inspired me to try this roast chicken.  I changed up a few things but nothing major.  It also gave me a chance to try the homemade stock recipe I have had for years.  Please note, I am horrible at taking pictures BEFORE I cut it up and serve. Please forgive me. I suppose I am just too excited and just ready to dig in!

We used just over a 4lb pound all natural chicken.  Remove innards, rinse with water, pat dry with paper towel.  Generously rub with sea salt.  Place breast up in roasting pan.  I snip back the skin from the chicken just a bit and stuff with seasonings. I feel it just adds more flavor to the meat.  Slice half a vidalia onion and half a sweet apple.  I used honey crisp.  Place some inside, under the skin and arrange on top.  I placed two sprigs of fresh rosemary inside, snapped one sprig and placed under the skin, and then sprinkled on top.  A palm full of fresh parsley inside, a bit less under the skin and then sprinkle on top.  I believe the rule is 20 minutes per pound or when the thigh reads 180 degrees.


All the delightful smells (and eating the rest of the apple) made me want to make a fall-ish dessert.  Towards the end of the cooking time melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a baking dish or large cast iron skillet.  Skin two apples and slice. Place on top of melted butter.  Sprinkle 1/4 of a cup quick rolled oats and 1/4 of a cup of brown sugar.  Sprinkle with spices... I did ground cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.  Cook for 20 minutes or til apples are tender when poked.  Serve with vanilla ice cream and dust with powdered sugar.

The stock is simmering now and boy does it smell awesome.  Will post when completed.



P.S- I believe I am ready for fall and more yummy apple recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment