Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Homemade Cosmetics

I have been going through this phase where I have been fed up with most retail facial/body products.  Whether it is all the unknown ingredients or the price for it being organic/safe has just sent me over the edge to where I do not use anything (except Burt's Bees Lip Balm and Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer).  I also use Cetaphil Lotion on my face because it keeps my combo oil/dry skin in balance and Aveda's Hand Relief Cream. I like trying different products and experimenting, but when you refuse to cough up the dough it is hard to continue being the product junkie that I am.  I am a sucker for facial masks, body scrubs, toner... and the list goes on.

My friend, Megan, inspired me to start making my own products (her blog is here).  It makes complete sense since it is cheaper and you are in control of what goes into the product. I also realized while making the scrub that this would be an awesome gift. This new challenge will also put my knowledge to the test and see if I can remember key elements of facial conditions and how to treat them like we did in esthetician school.

Since I cannot remember everything, I have been referencing the book Feeding Your Skin.  I really like it because it is very thorough.  The recipes are simple and you can easily tweak some to suit your needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment